My husband and I had a date night planned last night for a simple dinner out. I felt like doing some experimenting with both my hair and makeup. I came up with this very soft and feminine look that I think is perfect for Spring.
As I sat down at my vanity I thought pastels would be a nice change for my eyeshadows and promptly realized my options were limited. So I pulled out my Sweet Dreams Palette by Too Faced and found a couple of shades there that would do the trick.
The four shades I used for this look are In the Buff, Peach Fuzz, Cut the Cake and Cop a Teal – which you can see on my swatches below:
How to get this look for your eyes:
- Start out by filling in your eyebrows so you can see the area you are working with. I used Mystery eyeshadow by MAC Cosmetics.
- Prime your lid all the way up to your brow bone. I used Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion.
- Dust Peach Fuzz eyeshadow all across your lids. (Any nice peachy shade will work for this step. Something like Naked Lunch by MAC would work.)
- Then, take Cut the Cake eyeshadow and blend this shade through your crease and at the outer edge of your eyes. (Again, any soft lilacy purple will do the trick here.)
- Line your upper lash line and waterline with a black liner. I used Blacktrack Fluidline by MAC.
- Take a nice dark contrasting colour to smudge into your lower lashes. I used Cop a Teal for this step.
- Highlight your brow bone and very inner corner of your eye with a soft, sheer white shade. I used In the Buff eyeshadow for this.
- Finish with Mascara on both your upper and bottom lashes. I used Bare Minerals Flawless Definition Volumizing Mascara.
This really does create a soft and subtle makeup look with just enough colour to keep me sane. 🙂 There is nothing overpowering about this look and is something that would work for anyone, no matter how you feel about bold colours.
To complete my look, I used the following:
For my Skin > Erase Paste by benefit as my under-eye concealer, Makeup Forever HD Foundation in shade #118, topped with MAC’s Studio Careblend Pressed Powder in shade “Light Plus”
For my cheeks > Sweet Pink blush by Too Faced
For my lips > Buxom lips bareEscentuals in shade “Leslie”
For the hair I wanted to try out a look that was shown off recently by Brittany and Amber over at Makeup Geek. They put up a complete picture tutorial on how to create this look. You can find it here.
This was my first time trying this look out on myself and I think it turned out okay for my first attempt. Because I don’t have bangs but I didn’t want my face completely bare, I decided to leave out a couple of small strands to curl so I could still have a soft frame around my face.
I am one of those people that has had long hair their entire life and I like to wear it down 99% of the time because it is how I feel “pretty”. I’ve never liked how I look with my hair pulled back in a pony tail or into a bun. But with a soft messy updo like this, I can keep my hair up and off my neck (which is amazing for hot days outside) but still feel pretty and feminine.
How about you? What is your favourite makeup look this Spring? How do you deal with your hair in the heat?
It must be the completionist in me…or a slight case of OCD. But either way I just had to try the last look from the Too Faced Sweet Dreams Palette – Dancing Sugar Plums. Let me know what you think!
Time for giving? Yeah, probably. But the trouble with the holidays is that wherever you go there are awesome deals and gift sets that you just “need” to buy for yourself….it is really better that I just stay away from the malls this time of year, but….that can be much easier said than done.
A couple of weeks ago on a day off I made my way to Rideau Centre, a three level mall in downtown Ottawa. I always end up in the two large makeup stores there because they aren’t at the mall closer to our work that we usually will hit on the way home (St. Laurent shopping centre). So sure enough, I ventured to MAC Cosmetics and for the first time since my addiction, I didn’t make a single purchase. With over 36 eyeshadow colours from MAC already, I couldn’t even decide what I “needed” so I left empty handed. Sephora though had their holiday gift sets arranged at the front and I knew I was in trouble. Debating between Urban Decay, Hello Kitty, Sephora Brand and Too Faced palettes, I opted for the Too Faced Sweet Dreams Palette. I’ve never used any of their product before and have done a small review for you all letting you know what I think.