In my October Topbox, you might recall that I received a eye shadow sample card for Stila’s “In the Light” eye shadow palette.
It contained two makeup look ideas as well as samples of each shadow from their full-size palette called In the Light.
Although the samples weren’t huge by any means, I had enough to be able to give these eyeshadows a thorough try. It contained enough for swatches of all the colours as well as 3-4 regular uses as well.
The full size palette contains 10 wearable neutral shades designed to compliment any skin tone. It retails for $50.00 CAD ($39.00 US) and also contains a limited edition Smudge Stick Waterproof Eye Liner in a matte chocolate brown called “Damsel”.
Swatches from the “In the Light” eye shadow palette:
Of the two makeup look suggestions included, I decided to showcase the look purrfect cat eye:
- apply “Bare” from lash line to brow bone
- apply “Kitten” to the lid and blend
- apply “Bliss” to crease and outer corner of the eye
- wet brush and apply “Ebony” to lash line, carefully extending the line up past the eye. (I totally copped out on this step and used my regular black felt tip liner)
As you can see, this is a very soft, subtle and natural eye makeup look that is perfect for daytime. It also gives you opportunity to use some of your more heavily pigmented lip products for that punch of colour that would be “too much” to pair with a smokey eye. Above on my lips I am wearing “Hope” by tarte from their line of LipSurgence natural matte lip tints which is one of my absolute favourites!
You will find this look in the full-size palette as well, inside a booklet containing 5 other suggested combinations. These look books are always great for those who might be a little overwhelmed with too many choices and aren’t sure where to start. I particularly love them, because they generally suggest pairing certain colours together you might not normally have considered.
Overall, this palette is quite lovely and has a nice variety of natural shades. For me though, I already have enough neutrals that purchasing this set wouldn’t make much sense. They do however have sister palettes with different combinations:
- “In the Moment” is a great universal palette with a mix of neutrals and purples that are ultra-wearable no matter your colourings.
- “In the Know” is a collection of 10 earth-inspired matte shadows which can be a fantastic addition to the beauty addict that mainly has lustre shadows.
- “In the Garden” is botanical inspired with a nice combination of matte and jewel toned shadows.
So no matter what your collection looks like at the moment and what you might be looking to branch out into…chances are Stila probably has you covered with a variety of combinations for the savvy shopper.
Have you tried Stila eye shadows before? What did you think? Which palette is your favourite?
Thanks for reading!
It must be the completionist in me…or a slight case of OCD. But either way I just had to try the last look from the Too Faced Sweet Dreams Palette – Dancing Sugar Plums. Let me know what you think!