I was shocked to see this set back in Sephora store’s and just had to grab it!
This 5-piece LipSurgence Collector’s Set from Tarte called “Statement Lips” sold out earlier in the season and I was lucky enough that they replenished those empty shelves! I was wandering through Sephora and when I saw it, I was just plain thrilled. 🙂 I was actually in store returning the Cinderella Moonlit Kiss Lipstick Set and was stoked to be able to replace them with a product I know isn’t drying and always feels great on my lips.
This set is made up of a variety of LipSurgence types and all of them are full size products (which retail for $31 CAD individually or $24US). It has one matte (“exposed”), two lip lusters (“escape” and “sweet”) and two lip tints (“enchanted” and “elite”). This Statement Lips set of 5 LipSurgence products by tarte retails for $44 CAD or $34US.
Although you can’t find this on-line any more, be sure to check your local Sephora for stock, mine still had a bunch of them when I picked this one up.
And remember, no need to sharpen these babies, they are twist-up’s so there is no fuss and no mess.
Here is a look at this 5-piece Collector’s Set swatched on my hand:
I thought these swatches didn’t really fully encompass these shades, so I wanted to be sure to do full lip swatches as well, both outdoors in natural light and indoors with flash. Hope you find these helpful when deciding if this set is right for you, or perhaps the perfect gift!
escape LipSurgence Natural Lip Luster
“escape” is a shimmering pink and reminded me of “My Moment” from the Cinderella set I recently returned. This one just has slightly less glitter, but a far better formula. So for those of you that were in love with that shade, this is a good alternative….and won’t require the layering of clear gloss around it to make it bearable.
enchanted LipSurgence Natural Lip Tint
“enchanted” is a sheer rose shade and what is particularly awesome about the sheer tints, is because they are sheer, they really play off the colour of your natural lips, so they will look different on everyone and compliment everyone.
exposed LipSurgence Natural Matte Lip Tint
“exposed” is described as the perfect nude. It really is a gorgeous lipstick and I’m SO glad it was in this collection. I wasn’t sure at first if it would be too dark for me, but I actually love that it has a darker pigmentation than I am used to with my nude lipsticks. Instead of washing me out, it defines my lips in a natural way. Definitely one of my favourites from this tarte collector’s set.
sweet LipSurgence Lip Luster
“sweet” is a shimmering peachy pink. It’s not as glittery as you might expect from tarte’s line of lip lusters, but it has a very pretty gloss-like finish that isn’t over the top. I see myself getting a lot of use out of this shade, because it is subtle, yet soft and pretty.
elite LipSurgence Lip Tint
“elite” is the other sheer one in the collection, described best as a sheer melon shade. This is my other favourite from this set. It is sheer, so will again play off of your natural lip colour, but for me, I found the amount of pigmentation just right. I also have a lot of “rose” shades already, so to have something with a slightly more tropical feel is awesome. I’m very happy to have added this one to my collection. I see it getting steady use year round, but especially in Spring.
I personally can’t wait for next year’s 5-piece set of Tarte LipSurgence products! Every year they change the colours and these sets are such fantastic value! I hope you are able to get one before the 2012 stock is sold out.
Let me know if you have this set already and what you think of it!
Thanks for reading!
Sephora collaborated with Disney this year to bring us a Cinderella limited edition collection for the 2012 holiday season. It has everything from eyeshadow palettes, compacts, perfume, nail polishes and this lipstick set:
When I first swatched these colours in store, I absolutely fell in love with this set of lipsticks and knew I had to purchase it.
This set retails for $30 CAD or $25 US.
The packaging of these lipsticks is very pretty (I’m such a sucker for nice packaging, it gets me every time). Each lipstick is in a silver foil-like tube that is embossed to match the rest of the Cinderella collection. They certainly look sleek and classy.
Lady Tremaine is a deep berry pink, perfect for the fall and winter seasons. Don’t let the colour of the stick fool you, it’s misleading and not that dark!
Pumpkin is a light pastel peachy-pink. To me, this shade is more of a Spring lipstick, but it is neutral enough it can be worn year round. “Pumpkin” is a great lipstick to pair with a dramatic eye to create a subtle and complimenting lip.
Who is she? is described as a warm rosy mauve, another great versatile neutral.
My Moment was the most interesting out of the bunch. Described as a pink champagne glitter, “My Moment” is my least favourite from the set. It hardly has any colour to it at all and is mostly just a sheer glitter stick. You have to really pile it on your lips to get a nude/light pink look as shown in the swatch below.
Aside from the packaging I personally found the overall quality of this set lacking. The lipsticks themselves are quite drying. I needed to wear a clear lip balm before application to help get me through. If I didn’t, they would glide on nice and creamy during application, but it wasn’t long after that my lips were feeling a bit tight and quite dry. I wasn’t sure if it was the lipstick or just the season. But the next day when I opted for my Lancome Rouge in Love lipstick, I had no doubt it was the Cinderella lipstick that was drying… With my Lancome or Clinique lipsticks, I feel no dryness at all this time of year. But yes, you can expect a steep price jump if you are going to opt for the latter.
Three of the shades in this limited edition Cinderella collection do have really great pigmentation though, so if you don’t mind starting with a clear balm, you should be fine. As you can see in the swatches above, the colours themselves are really pretty and were actually quite unique additions to my collection. If I can just get used to wearing the lip balm first, I’d probably be able to get a lot of use out of this set.
Given all of the amazing holiday lip sets this time of year, I think people can probably do better as far as value and comfort goes. Sephora has a lot of great lipstick sets that are the same price or just slightly more than this one. So, even if you have to spend a little extra, I always think its better to get something you can use with ease and use often rather than just getting the best “deal”. And for some people that very well could be this set, it just depends on what you are looking for in your lipsticks and whether this formula works well for you or not.
I’ve had this set for a few weeks already and have hardly worn them at all, not once since my initial trials actually (other than swatches)…so I am debating taking them back. With Sephora’s return policy, I have 60 days from date of purchase to return them…and if I go another 3 weeks without touching them, then I think a return probably makes the most sense.
If you have this Cinderella Moonlit Kiss Lipstick Set already, I’d love to hear what you thought of the formula. Please comment below!
Do you ever compromise comfort for fancy packaging or a great shade that you fall in love with?
Well, I’m sure this post isn’t coming as a shocker to any of you. I’ve always been a sucker for value sets, gifts with purchases and the Sephora Favorite samplers.
Draw the Line is the 2012 eyeliner sampler from Sephora featuring 3 full size products and 3 deluxe minis.
This set allows you to “Flick, drag, sweep, or smudge with cream, liquid or pencil. Create countless looks with this essential black eyeliner kit.” Available on-line or in-store this set retails for $28.00 US ($82.00 value) or $34.00 CAD ($98.00 value).
I was really excited when I saw this eyeliner sampler. I’ve been on the hunt for a new liquid eyeliner (felt tip) as well as something that will work on my waterline. As lovely as MAC’s fluidline glides across your lid, it has never worked well on my waterline. In under an hour after application I will have little chunks flaking off and creating a mess under my eyes. So now, I have a new gel liner (that is actually waterproof) as well as a couple of waterproof pencils I can put to the test.
Let’s take a closer look at the products inside:
- Smashbox Jet Set Waterproof Eye Liner in “Midnight Black”. At 3.4g/12oz this is one of the three full size products. A cream eye liner like this is the favourite of many, it offers a similar look to a crisp liquid liner, but is easier to apply. It does require an eyeliner brush though, which is not included. Sold individually, this product would be $22.00 US or $27.00 CAD. 7 different shades available on-line or in-store.
- Urban Decay 24/7 Waterpoof Liquid Eyeliner in shade “Perversion”. At 1.7ml this is the second of the full size products. It is a classic liquid eye liner brush, not a felt tip applicator. If you have a steady hand you can create gorgeous precise lines with this one. This product, when sold individually is $19.00 US or $23.00 CAD. 11 different shades available on-line or in-store for this cult favorite. And after just two products in , we’ve already blown the cost of this sampler set out of the water. I love a good deal!
- Sephora Collection’s Waterproof Retractable Eyeliner in shade “09 Glitter Black” is the last of the three full size products at 0.31g. It is a vibrant black with tiny silver specks of glitter. It comes with a smudger on the bottom end as well if you are going for a more blended effect. This one is available in a mere 22 shades and can be purchased on-line or in-store for $12.00 US or $16.00 CAD.
- Kat Von D’s Tattoo Liner in shade “Trooper”. This was the first product I reached for when I took off the plastic. The felt tip pen makes drawing on perfect lines quick and easy. The super fine tip makes any touch ups a breeze. This water resistant product is designed for application on the face and the body. The full size product is approximately 3 times the size of this deluxe sample and retails for $18.00 US or $22.00 CAD. You can purchase here or in-store and choose from 5 different shades.
- Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil is a favorite amongst beauty addicts and make up artists alike. This award winning product also doubles as a vibrant eye shadow. I was excited to try this matte black liner on my waterline and I’ve got to say it held up very well, with almost no signs of wear after several hours. Aqua eyes full size pencils retail for $18.00 US or $20.00 CAD and come in 25 different colors.
- Buxom Insider Eyeliner in “Black Jasper” is a black metallic, retractable, velvety liner.Its gentle design is tailored for application of the inner rims of your eyes. This liner contains antioxidants and vitamins to protect this delicate area. (I know, I know, I should’ve read this and tried this one first!) It is definitely next on my list to try out on my waterline. I might even try tight-lining for the first time! It makes it sound like such a lovely prospect! The full size Buxom Insider eyeliners can be purchased on-line and in-store for $14.00 US and $18.00 CAD. 8 shades give you some affordable options if you are wanting to pick this up.
I’ve swatched them all next to each other here so you can see the differences in opacity and thickness:
(click to enlarge)
I really am so impressed with the value of this set. For a bunch of black eyeliners…you really do get the best of everything. You have a wide variety of products with unique purposes…and you can’t beat the price no matter how you look at it.
What is your favorite black eyeliner that you can’t live without? Every girl has got to have at least one!
I have full swatches of their lip sampler “Give Me Some Lip” as well for anyone interested.
Holiday collections have already hit all of the shelves this year in mass. Sephora value sets and special palettes are all over the place and MAC’s collections have already seen some early sell outs.
MAC’s new sets have some definite re-promotes but I did see one lipstick that I just knew I had to have. After my 10 Gorgeous Lipsticks for Fall post, I realized I was really missing a nice deep purple/burgundy for this fall and coming winter. So I grabbed “Dramatic Encounter” from their limited edition Glamour Daze Lipstick collection.
Dramatic Encounter is a MAC Aplified Crème Lipstick, which I believe means that it is supposed to have a creamy moisturizing texture. If someone has more information about that, I’d love for you to comment below! 🙂
The shade itself is described by MAC as a deep purple. Indoors I found it was a very deep purple, at first glance almost black on my lips. But outside in natural light, you can see the red and burgundy tones in it.
The below swatches are all in natural light:
Personally I found it felt quite nice on my lips. Not too creamy as to be a smudge-fest and not too dry as to be uncomfortable. I kept a close eye on it throughout dinner and drinks with my compact and found it wore incredibly well. I was worried about it looking uneven and horrendous throughout the meal, but didn’t find that to be the case at all. The shade itself is quite opaque and covers easily with very little fuss. No need to be layering this one on over and over to get the true colour.
Are any of you sporting dark shades like this one this fall?
What holiday sets are you most excited about??
Full ingredient listing for MAC’s Dramatic Encounter Lipstick:
Things have definitely changed outside here. Certain days the wind chills you to the bone and the leaves have all started to fall. People hustle to their cars quicker than before. Boots are on ever other set of feet and pea-coats and belted trenches have made their way back already. Winter’s threat is just around the corner and Spring feels very far away.
If you are anything like me and you carry around 10-15 lip products in your purse at any given time, its definitely time you pulled out those spring and summer shades and replaced them with something more season appropriate. I pulled out all my watermelon and peach shades and have replaced them with shades lending themselves more to the berry, grape and raisin variety. (Have you ever noticed all the fruit references before?!?!)
So, I wanted to share with you my 10 Favorite Lip Products for Fall 2012. (in no particular order – click to enlarge)
Russian Red is a part of MAC’s Matte Lipstick collection which are available for purchase at MAC stores or counters at your local department stores. Retails for $17.50 CAD or $14.50 US. It is a beautiful true red, not really lending itself to either cold or warm tones. Long lasting and not at all drying, MAC’s lipsticks are what made them famous and as the weather turns colder a nice bold red lip can add a classy pop of colour to any look. For more swatches of Russian Red, please click here.
Tarte’s LipSurgence natural lip tint’s are some of my absolutely favourite lip products. They are peppermint infused so they have a minty scent and are a nice hydrating product for your lips. Because this product is a tint and not a lipstick it goes on sheer and stays put like a stain. Moody is a nice deep berry that enhances your natural lip colour creating a richer looking lip. This product is available for purchase at Sephora and retails for $31.00 CAD or $24.00 US.
Black Honey is a shade that the majority of beauty blogger’s have owned at one time or another. Clinique’s Almost Lipstick collection is known for its lightweight sheer pigment that merges with your lip colour creating a unique look for every one. Black Honey is a deep blackened raisin shade with a soft shine. Available at your local department stores or at Sephora. Retails for $19.00 CAD or $15.00 US.
A Different Grape
Clinique’s Different Lipstick collection is aimed at feeling smooth and comfortable on, while providing a wide range of shades. “A Different Grape” is a pinkish grape shade that covers well and brings lots of colour to your lips without being overpowering. This product is available at your local department stores or at Sephora. Retails for $19.00 CAD or $15.00 US.
I absolutely love this shade for fall. It is a nice deep mauve/plum shade that applies like a dream, is long wearing and doesn’t dry out your lips. Clinique’s Long Last Lipstick collection is available at your local department stores or at Sephora. Retails for $19.00 CAD or $15.00 US.
I should definitely be a big fan of this one, considering it is the shade I wore for my wedding! MAC’s Pro Longwear Lipcolour collection is by far the longest lasting of all of these products and the biggest pain in the butt to get off. They are completley non transferrable when drinking, eating or kissing – so you never have to worry about patchy looking lips with this. Not something I like to use everyday, but it is perfect for when you don’t want to worry about touch-ups or smearing. “For Keeps” is described as a rose-plum with iridescence. This is available at MAC stores or counters at your local department stores. Retails for $28.00 CAD or $23.00 US.
The same product as “Moody” from above, “Hope” offers a matte finish in a warm rose colour, perfect for fall. Products from Tarte’s LipSurgence natural matte lip tint collection are available for purchase at Sephora and they retail for $31.00 CAD or $24.00 US.
This was the runner up when selecting my wedding lipstick. A fantastic product, but I opted for the slightly more noticeable shade. Unchanging is a soft neutral lilac pink from MAC’s Pro Longwear Lipcolour collection and is available at MAC stores or counters at your local department stores. Retails for $28.00 CAD or $23.00 US.
Berry Rich is exactly what it claims to be, a rich berry shade that isn’t too bright for autumn. It adds a beautiful pop of colour without being too overpowering. New York Color’s (NYC) Ultra Last Lipwear line is available at your local drug store or Wal-Mart for anywhere from $1.50-$2.00. The packaging certainly looks and feels cheap and you always want to make sure you always have it close for touch-ups. But for the price, this is great value. I was impressed and pleasantly surprised.
Celebutard is a nude peach beige perfect for creating a polished natural look this fall. Absolutely perfect for a bold make-up look or a dramatic smokey eye where you want your lips to compliment rather than compete. Kat Von D’s Painted Love Lipstick collection is available at Sephora on-line or in-store for $23.00 CAD or $19.00 US.
Although some of these shades are bold, they aren’t super bright the way spring and summer lip colours tend to be. These 10 lip products give you variety between soft, matte and muted or deep, rich and daring…as well as everything in between.
What are your favorite lipsticks this fall? And how many do you have in your purse right now???
Thanks for reading!
A few weeks ago I picked up the “Give Me Some Lip” set from Sephora’s website. I love trying new products and I always find that Sephora’s pre-made sampler kits are a great way to do that. You get to try new brands and shades that might be outside your comfort zone, or price range. You don’t need to spend an arm and a leg, or invest in full size products that you end up wanting nothing to do with.
The set comes in a small glossy pink “book” with a shimmery ribbon on the right hand side that you can tie to keep it closed.
Full Ingredient List (click to englarge):
When you untie the ribbon, you can open it up to find your six products tucked away neatly.
The “Give Me Some Lip” set contains:
- 0.08 oz Fresh Sugar Rosé Tinted Lip Treatment (very sheer berry rose)
- 0.12 oz Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss in Child (sheer nude)
- 0.1 oz Bite Beauty Lip Shine in Vintage (sheer mauve/plum)
- 0.1 oz Laura Mercier Lip Glace in Baby Doll (soft pink gloss with lots of shimmer)
- 0.1 oz Tarte LipSurgence™ Natural Matte Lip Tint in Hope (warm rose shade)
- 0.5 oz Sephora Collection Glossy Gloss in Precious Pink (described as a very sheer pink with iridescent shimmer)
That is 2 full size products and 4 travel sized products. This lip sampler of Sephora Favorites can be purchased on-line for $30.00 CAD or $25.00 US. The Tarte product itself retails for $31.00 CAD or $24.00 US. So really, think of it as buying one of those…and getting everything else for free!
I want to take a closer look at all the products and shades here, to help you decide if this value set is truly for you.
Let’s start with the Sugar Rose Tinted Lip Treatment by Fresh:
- This was my first product by Fresh and I’ve got to say that it is just lovely. I finally understand what all the fuss is about! It is so soft, it almost melts onto your lips as you apply it (no need to press hard with this product). This lip treatment leaves your lips feeling hydrated with a pretty, natural, subtle tint. It is also SPF 15, so that is a nice added bonus too! The scent that accompanies this lip product is sweet like fruit yet lightly floral.
Next up let’s look at Tarte Lipsurgence Natural Matte Lip Tint in “Hope”:
- This is my second LipSurgence product from Tarte and I love it just as much as my other one. I find this shade very wearable for the everyday. The nice matte finish doesn’t make it too intense, but “Hope” still adds a nice deep colour to your lips. All of their LipSurgence products have a slight minty scent to them (to me they smell exactly like dental floss) and have a long hydrating wear time.
Now for, Hourglass Extreme Sheen High Shine Lip Gloss in “Child”:
- This is a fantastic nude lip gloss that glides on sheer and softens your natural lip colour while adding a nice neutral shine. It has a very light scent of vanilla to it and has a flexible flat-sided sponge applicator that was soft and comfortable against my lips. I see myself getting a lot of use out of this for bold eye make-up that calls for a nice soft and subtle lip.
Laura Mercier Lip Glace:
- Babydoll is a nice pink shimmer gloss with a lot of shimmer and sparkle that comes with a sweet dessert smell. The sponge applicator is angled and stiff which makes application quick and efficient with little room for error. I think “Babydoll” is a nice complimentary shade to go with a variety of skin tones and make-up styles and preferences.
Bite Lip Shine in “Vintage”:
- The light scent that goes along with “Vintage” I can only describe as a black cherry, or a spicy cherry of sorts- it is definitely sweet, but has a little bit of punch as well. This lip shine is a gorgeous sheer mauve/plum shade that basically deepened my natural lip colour and added shine. It has a really nice consistency and I love the natural richness of it on.
Last but not least, Sephora’s Glossy Gloss in “Precious Pink”:
- This product is by far the glossiest of the set, I definitely see where it gets its name “Glossy Gloss”. This sheer soft pink gloss basically goes on clear and contains a great deal of iridescent shimmer. Your lips will feel soft and slippery, look plump and smell like watermelon. This is a great everyday gloss, especially for the summer months.
(In the same order as shown above)
All in all, for the price I’m really happy with this multi branded value set. I find it offers a nice variety of shades as well as textures – I really have no complaints with this purchase and am really glad I bought it!
Is there a certain brand from this sampler set that you love/hate? I’d love to hear about your favourite lip products for the season!
P.S. Here is a look using “Hope” LipSurgence natural matte lip tint by Tarte: