Feeling Earthy? (a rainforest makeup tutorial)
It feels like forever since I’ve done an eye makeup tutorial. This one is super simple and fast to do. I tried to make a season appropriate look for this time of year, but still have some fun with it. With this eye shadow combination I still get my “necessary” pop of colour with the bold green, but the look is grounded by the brown eye shadow.
I used 3 eye shadows from MAC Cosmetics – Swimming, Humid and Mystery.
But you can certainly recreate this look with any similar combination of shadows.
How to create this super simple look:
*follow any of the links below for swatches, where to buy and other shades available*
- As always, fill in your brows first to help frame the area. I used Mystery eyeshadow by MAC Cosmetics for this.
- Prime your lid and all the way up to your crease. I used Urban Decay’s Primer Potion. It is super important to use a primer if you want long wear time and to avoid creasing. Your shadows will also apply more vibrantly and stay true throughout the day/night.
- Using a flat eye shadow brush, dab Swimming eye shadow by MAC all over your lids. (from the inside of the eye to the outside of the eye). Any bright green will work for this, you don’t need this specific shadow. Just make sure it is not lime green, you want it to be more of an earthy tone.
- Using the same brush (brush off all the green pigment first on a kleenex) use your Mystery eye shadow (any dark brown matte eye shadow will do) throughout the crease and up onto your brow bone.
- Then, using a fluffy crease brush, sweep Humid eye shadow (or a nice dark forest green) gently back and forth through your crease. This will help meld the dark brown and the bright green together, creating a more fluid and blended look.
- For eyeliner I used Master Precise Felt Tip Liquid Liner (available at Ulta in the US and at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada) on my lid. I didn’t apply any on the lower side of my eyes. I wanted to create a softer and more open look rather than closing off my eye.
- Finish the look with at least two coats of mascara. I used They’re Real! mascara by benefit.
- (Optional) Add false eyelashes to your look. I get such volume and curl out of this mascara I decided not to bother with lashes.
How to get the rest of this look:
Face > For my under eye concealer I used Erase Paste by benefit in shade No.1. Then, all over I used Clinique’s Moisture Surge Tinted Moisturizer in shade 01 topped with MAC’s Studio Careblend Pressed Powder in shade Light Plus.
Cheeks > Margin Blush by MAC Cosmetics (a frost powdered blush)
What do you guys think? Are you a fan of this combination or do you hate it? I’d love to hear your thoughts. Tell me, what make-up are you sporting this fall??
Thanks for reading!